Sunday 8 May 2011

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation, we have assumed control !

Well, Carronade was a good lark yesterday. In fact I thoroughly enjoyed it even though I'm still suffering from sensory overload...

So what shiny did I secure at the sacrifice of Robert the Bruce and his co-horts?

Mutineer Miniatures had a rather snazzy sale corner going on, and if it wasn't for Gordon i would not have noticed. So thanks mate! :D

So that was 25 Warlord (Bolt Action) Germans for a sweet, sweet tenner. I nearly bought 2 but that's greedy! Besides, Neil got too, so plenty enemies for my 101st :D More on Jerry later. £10

A couple old Intelligence books for FOW: Afrika and Festung Europa so my dream of fielding Polish and 82nd at the slopes of Monte Cassino is getting closer :D 2 beans and 4 beans respectively from various flea-marketers. £6

A couple of Highlander vehicles and infantry for my Mechwarrior force... which reminds me Neil still has these! £5

A couple of classic plastic Tyranids to boss my Rogue Trader zoats around :) £3

A metal and plastic pull-back panzer from Gateshead. Needs a bit of work but it's useable! £8

FOW Polish Dice for general rollage :D £7.something



A very cute Gamera "gashapon" Japanese blind-boxed figure for my Kaiju gaming. A wee bit big but should fit in, plus he's awesome! £10

A pie and apple: £2

Total: £51.something (unless my maths are worse than I thought!)


So onto Jerry...

As far as I understand, the standard Jerry infantry platoon (Grenadier?) consisted of:

HQ-
NCO or officer with MP40 and pistol
2 runners with Kar98 K rifles
a stretcher-bearer (is this a medic???) with pistol
Horse master with rifle
Wagon driver with rifle

3 rifle sections-
1 NCO with MP
5 squaddies with Kar98ks
1 squaddie with MP
1 MG-er with either MG34 or 42
assistant gunner with rifle and all the ammo for MG-er?

Does this sound correct? because if so then for a tenner (usually a still-reasonable £15-18) I've gotten 2/3 of a late War platoon in plastic?


I'm going by this anyway. It sounds fairly reasonable. ToE from bayonetstrength.150m.com.

Pics will follow soon.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good haul!!

    Yes please to pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Late war Jerry Platoon, command section sounds about right, but the squads arent.

    Paper strength of a jerry squad was 10 with 1 MG34, but late war it was more often 8 with 2 MG34s (to make up the firepower) and tactics of Jerry were the opposite of Brits. Brits saw the rifle firepower as the main strength of the squad, with the Bren gunner supporting the rifles. Jerry on the other hand saw the MGs as the main weapon of the squad with the rifles being the donkeys carrying ammo for them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fair does! So does that mean a squad would be:
    1 NCO with MP
    2 MG34s
    2 Assistant gunners?
    3 Rifles?

    Or did everyone carry ammo then?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, what about snipers/sharpshooters? The sprue has a scoped Kar which I'd like to use for a sniper-type :D

    ReplyDelete