Wednesday 20 April 2011

It's quiet.... TOO quiet!

Yeah it's been quiet over here are Heavy Metal HQ although that doesn't mean I've been laying low! Far from it in fact.

I've just been really busy doing the stuff this blog is here to talk about to have time to talk about the stuff I've been doing... on... this... err... blog...


Anyway!

2 projects started, one almost finished, and of course my 101st Airborne are now gamable (is that a word?! Gameable? Gamible? Gullible?). Basically one of the projects is the aforementioned (second post) buildings!

The full set of buildings. In kit form. Just like real life, hey?


The "hotel" pub, with extension


3-in-a-row! Terraced cottages, fronts, backs, sides. 

So there it is. All the kits are ready to be cut out and stuck together with the balsa prisms to be cut and stuck in each corner! Then roofs; think I'll just go with cereal box card with a prism of balsa across the length of the building.



Next up... 

Inspired by an awesome article in Issue 279 of Wargames Illustrated (Jan '11) I decided I wanted to have a go at designing some modular town-y gaming boards with roads and all!

So a trip to B&Q later, I arrived with my squares of MDF salvaged fro mthe bargain bin and kindly chopped up in store. The cost??? A whole £2 for something about 4foot X 4foot. While there I picked up some grey paint, a sample pot of darker grey (the cost split with Neil McG for his project which I'll leave for him to reveal ^_^ ) I set to work!

The roads were marked so that they all connect, and the boards are all double-sided. I only have 4 just now, but I may well make more in the future. Here are the steps:

 First coat on Friday 15th, finished (2 coats on each side) Tuesday 19th.
This is today; when everything else happened!

 Roads pencilled in with my 1/50 Sherman for scale

 Blocked in a tarmac colour. Sample pot with a little Chaos Black

 Space Wolves Grey kerb with permanent marker, Skull White road markings (I think I'll leave at that, so they are pretty generic)

 Another possible layout (note the "Town Centre" and "Dead End")

And another. Herman just loves trundling up and down those roads!


God I love holidays! They're great, I get stuff done! Wish I could have holidays all the time.



I then posed up a board with some buildings to get some flavour shots, using my 101st! ^_^

I'll post 'em in a separate entry though as I've got a few piccies of that!


1 comment:

  1. Very good Graeme. Definitely looking forward to seeing how those houses turn out

    ReplyDelete